Carmen de Andacollo’s transition to renewable power will eliminate approximately 200,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions yearly. (Photo: Teck Resources)

Chilean affiliates of Teck Resources Ltd. and The AES Corp., Compañía Minera Teck Carmen de Andacollo S.A. (CdA) and AES Gener S.A (AES Gener), have entered into a long-term power purchase agreement to provide 100% renewable power for Teck’s Carmen de Andacollo Operation in Chile. Under the agreement, CdA will source 72 megawatts (MW) (550 GWh per year) from AES Gener’s growing renewable portfolio of wind, solar and hydroelectric energy. The transition to renewable power will replace previous fossil fuel power sources and eliminate approximately 200,000 metric tons (mt) of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions annually, according to the company.

“Teck is tackling the global challenge of climate change by reducing the carbon footprint of our operations and working toward our goal of becoming carbon neutral,” Teck President and CEO Don Lindsay said. “This agreement takes Teck a step closer to achieving our sustainability goals, while also ensuring a reliable, long-term clean power supply for CdA at a reduced cost to Teck.”

The Carmen de Andacollo renewable power arrangement and will run through the end of 2031.

“We are honored to continue working together with Teck to help them progress toward their goal of carbon neutrality,” said Andrés Gluski, AES Corp. president and CEO. “By providing Teck with innovative renewable energy solutions, AES Gener is helping build Chile’s sustainable and reliable grid of the future.”

As part of its updated sustainability strategy, Teck has set the goal of being a carbon neutral operator by 2050. Teck has established milestone goals, including sourcing 100% of all power needs in Chile from renewable power by 2030 and reducing the carbon intensity of operations by 33% by 2030. Teck previously announced an agreement with AES Gener to supply renewable power for the Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 (QB2) project currently under construction. Once effective, more than 50% of QB2’s total operating power needs will be from renewable sources.

Teck owns a 90% interest in the Carmen de Andacollo mine and Empresa Nacional de Minería holds the remaining 10%.