Barrick Gold recently announced it has reached commercial production at its 60%-owned Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic. President and CEO Jamie Sokalsky hailed it a “milestone” while echoing a “world-class mine” expected to come full capacity in six months; Goldcorp owns the remaining 40%.

One of the world’s largest gold assets, Pueblo Viejo was completed at a capital cost of $3.7 billion. Heavy rains delayed a tailings dam during the initial stage.

Barrick’s production out of its share this year is expected at 500,000-650,000 oz, while the first five years of operation are forecast at 625,000-675,000 oz. As of year-end, the site was estimated to have 25.3 million oz of reserves.

Goldcorp, meanwhile, expects its 2013 share to be between 330,000 and 430,000 oz. A full five-year production is expected to be between 415,000 and 450,000 oz annually.

Resource Center Whitepapers, Videos, Case Studies

Let's stay in touch!

All of the latest mining news and our digital edition sent to your inbox once a week.

We'll never share your email address, and you can opt out at any time, we promise.