Most Read Articles
- Argentina and the Mining Opportunity
- Brazil Mining
- Kazakhstan—Not Just Another ‘Stan’...
- Breaking the Rare-Earth Monopoly
- Scandinavian Mining
- Iron Ore Contract Sets New High
- Clean Machines: Cut Operating Costs with Contamination Control
- RTB Bor: The Comeback of Serbian Copper
- The Current Status of Cyanide Regulations
- Heap Leaching: Extending Applications
Barrick Appoints New CEO
Barrick Gold Corp. has appointed Executive Vice President and CFO Jamie Sokalsky president and CEO, replacing Aaron Regent, who had held the position since January 2009. Sokalsky will also replace Regent on Barrick’s board of directors. In addition, John L. Thornton, currently a Barrick director, has been appointed co-chairman of Barrick’s board of directors.
“On behalf of our board, I would like to thank Aaron for his significant contribution to Barrick’s development. We are fully committed to maximizing shareholder value, but have been disappointed with our share price performance. Our board has every confidence in Jamie’s experience and commitment to take our company forward,” said Peter Munk, founder and chairman, Barrick Gold.
“I feel enormously privileged to take on this role at Barrick, a company that combines operational excellence and financial strength with a track record of successful execution,” Sokalsky said. “My focus will be on maximizing shareholder value and our mission of superior performance.”
Jamie Sokalsky joined Barrick as treasurer in 1993 and became CFO in 1999.