Most Read Articles
- Argentina and the Mining Opportunity
- Brazil Mining
- Kazakhstan—Not Just Another ‘Stan’...
- Breaking the Rare-Earth Monopoly
- Scandinavian Mining
- Iron Ore Contract Sets New High
- Clean Machines: Cut Operating Costs with Contamination Control
- RTB Bor: The Comeback of Serbian Copper
- The Current Status of Cyanide Regulations
- Heap Leaching: Extending Applications
Ivanplats Secures Power Boost for Kamoa Project
- Created on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 14:30
Ivanplats has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Democratic Republic of Congo’s state-owned power company, La Société Nationale d’Electricité (SNEL), to upgrade a third hydroelectric power plant, Nzilo 1, to secure an additional supply of sustainable electricity for Ivanplats’ underground Kamoa copper project in Katanga province. The proposed Nzilo 1 upgrade is in addition to planned upgrades by Ivanplats of the Mwadingusha and Koni hydroelectric plants. The three plants could produce a combined 200 MW of long-term, clean electricity for the grid, which would be more than sufficient to launch production at Kamoa.
GWMG Reports Positive PEA for Steenkampskraal
- Created on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 14:28
Great Western Minerals Group (GWMG) has reported positive results from a preliminary economic assessment (PEA) of its Steenkampskraal rare earth element (REE) project in Western Cape province, South Africa. The project includes an underground mine and future reprocessing of tailings, a rare earth chloride plant that produces mixed rare earth chloride, and a solvent extraction separation plant that produces separated rare earth oxides (REOs). Thereafter, GWMG’s business model includes installation of metal-making capacity and expansion of current alloy production capacity at Less Common Metals Ltd., a GWMG subsidiary in the United Kingdom.
Endeavour Targeting Q1 2014 Start at Agbaou Gold
- Created on Saturday, 13 April 2013 18:31
Endeavour Mining reports that construction of its Agbaou gold mine in Côte d’Ivoire is on budget and on schedule for production to begin during the first quarter of 2014. Gold production is expected to average 103,000 oz/y over an eight-year mine life. The open-pit mine and gold plant are designed to mine and treat 1.6 million mt/y of saprolite ore or 1.34 million mt/y of bedrock ore. The plant design incorporates a conventional gravity and CIL circuit for a gold recovery rate of 92.5%.
Rusal Suspends Production at Nigerian Smelter
- Created on Saturday, 13 April 2013 18:29
Russian aluminum producer UC Rusal announced on March 15, a decision to temporarily suspend aluminum smelting operations at the Alscon aluminum smelter in Nigeria. The plant is owned 85% by Rusal and 15% by the Nigerian government.
Oromin Completes CIL, Heap Leach Studies
- Created on Saturday, 13 April 2013 18:28
Oromin Explorations has reported the results of two engineering studies for the OJVG gold project in eastern Senegal: a feasibility study for a carbon-in-leach (CIL) project and a preliminary economic assessment (PEA) for a heap leach project.
Zimplats Feels Heat from Zimbabwe Government
- Created on Saturday, 13 April 2013 18:26
The Zimbabwe division of South Africa’s Impala Platinum, Zimplats, is under pressure following a nationalization deal brokered with the government in January. Company officials now have less than a month to appeal a takeover by Harare officials of 50% of their mining claims.
Oyu Tolgoi Produces First Concentrate
- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 20:30
The Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold project in the South Gobi region of Mongolia produced its first copper-gold concentrate on January 31, 2013, following the start of ore processing through the concentrator on January 2. The project is owned 66% by Turquoise Hill Resources of Vancouver, Canada, and 34% by the Mongolian government. Rio Tinto holds a 51% controlling interest in Turquoise Hill Resources and is the project manager.
Xstrata a Step Closer at Tampakan
- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 20:29
The Philippines government has given Sagittarius Mines an environmental compliance certificate (ECC) for its $5.9-billion Tampakan mine, moving the company closer to bringing the highly anticipated project to fruition. Sagittarius is primarily owned by Xstrata with Australia’s Indophil Resources holding a 37.5% interest.
De Beers Commits to New Mine Development at Venetia
- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 20:25
The De Beers Group announced in mid-February 2013 that it will invest approximately R20 billion ($2 billion) to build a new underground mine beneath the currently operating open-pit Venetia diamond mine in Limpopo province, South Africa. When completed, the underground mine will extend the life of Venetia until 2042 and replace the open pit as South Africa’s largest diamond mine. The announcement followed the receipt of the final outstanding regulatory clearances earlier in February.
Banfora Receives Positive Feasibility Study
- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 20:23
Gryphon Minerals, an Australian junior company headquartered in Subiaco, West Australia, has reported the results of a bankable feasibility study (BFS) that demonstrates the viability of developing its Banfora gold project in southwest Burkina Faso. The study is based on a conventional 2-million-mt/y CIL processing plant and open-pit mining operation using contractor mining, with the potential to expand to 4 million mt/y.
Allana Potash Project Cost Pegged at $642M
- Created on Tuesday, 19 March 2013 20:22
Allana Potash has announced positive results from an independent feasibility study of its Danakhil potash solution mining project in Ethiopia. The study considers commercial operations that will produce 1 million mt/y of a standard grade muriate of potash (MOP) product from sylvinite reserves over an initial estimated operating life of 25 years.
- Wits Gold’s De Bron-Merriespruit Project Moves to Final Feasibility
- Randgold Starts Mining at Kibali, Opens Gounkoto
- Endeavour Acquiring Avion in Agreed Transaction
- Luiri Advancing Zambia Gold Project
- Resolute Undertakes Expansion at Syama Gold
- Tiger Resources Begins Exporting Kipoi Concentrate
- Nevsun Targeting Second Quarter 2013 Start for Bisha Expansion
- Banro Moves to Owner-Operator Mining at Twangiza
- Wits Gold Reports Positive PFS for DBM Project
- Anglo American Platinum Pioneering Fuel Cell Locomotive