Most Read Articles
- Argentina and the Mining Opportunity
- Brazil Mining
- Kazakhstan—Not Just Another ‘Stan’...
- Breaking the Rare-Earth Monopoly
- Scandinavian Mining
- Iron Ore Contract Sets New High
- Clean Machines: Cut Operating Costs with Contamination Control
- RTB Bor: The Comeback of Serbian Copper
- The Current Status of Cyanide Regulations
- Heap Leaching: Extending Applications
Alpha Makes It Official
- Created on Thursday, 16 June 2011 19:50
Alpha Natural Resources has completed its acquisition of Massey Energy. With 150 coal mines and 40 prep plants, the company now controls the second largest coal reserve base in the U.S. with approximately 5 billion tons in the major coal basins of Central and Northern Appalachia, the Illinois Basin and the Powder River Basin. It said its metallurgical reserve base is now among the largest and highest-quality in the world.
“Today’s transaction is transformational for Alpha Natural Resources, the Central Appalachian region and the U.S. coal industry. Alpha is now a global industry leader. This combination significantly enhances Alpha’s industry position through the inclusion of complementary mining assets and a combined workforce that is 14,000 people strong,” said Kevin Crutchfield, CEO, Alpha Natural Resources. “We will immediately begin building upon our history of successful integrations, including implementing Alpha’s unique employee-driven Running Right philosophy of safety and environmental stewardship across the businesses.”