Dassault Systèmes’ Lean Mine Construction is a collaborative tool designed to improve project design, planning, procurement and construction management.
Dassault Unveils New Project Management and Enterprise Decision-making Platforms
At its annual 3DEXPERIENCE Forum in November, Dassault Systèmes announced two new industry solutions for mining: Lean Mine Construction and Perfect Mine and Plant. Based on its 3DEXPERIENCE platform, the two products are claimed to be capable of driving transformational change in mining by helping companies “develop and run more efficient mines with unprecedented decision-making agility.”
Lean Mine Construction has been designed to ensure that the applications and knowledge required to complete projects on time—and on budget—are available on one platform. Lean Mine Construction connects mining companies with their contractors and partners in a collaborative environment for site infrastructure and processing plant design, project planning, procurement and construction management.
Perfect Mine and Plant is claimed to allow all levels of a mining organization collaborate to make the company more agile in response to operational performance variation, emerging business opportunities and changing market conditions. Executives, planners, and mine managers use data from across the mining value chain, along with decision-making applications, to optimize long-term plans, align financial objectives and ensure that all levels of the organization are synchronized, for greater strategic control.
“Success for the mining industry comes from two sources of competitive advantage: increased productivity through a stable operating model facilitated by technology and the implementation of disruptive technologies that can change the game. Companies will need both to succeed,” said Tony O’Neill, group director, technical and sustainability, Anglo American. “By using 3-D modeling of concepts and providing the ability to rapidly and dynamically test ideas in a more expansive way, Dassault Systèmes’ 3DEXPERIENCE platform plays a key role in addressing some of the mining industry’s business performance challenges.”
Key benefits of Lean Mine Construction include:
- Better mining operational productivity through 4-D simulation and modeling to identify the right site infrastructure layout and plant processing capacity before construction begins;
- Lower costs and less errors by enabling design of modularized infrastructure and plant components, which can be tested and assembled in a virtual world before fabrication is approved; and
- Support of rapid adjustments to engineering designs when requirements change, and facilitates just-in-time delivery of components to site and further lowers costs through integration of design engineering, project scheduling and procurement.
Perfect Mine and Plant offers these advantages, according to the company:
- Reduces variability through optimized scheduling and operational control;
- Delivers on the promise of big data to improve productivity, efficiency and cost control across mining organizations;
- Provides management with the data needed to achieve predictable production output and meet production targets; and
- Breaks down the silos between mining and processing functions and provides the simulation and validation capabilities required to allow innovative ideas to be explored and proven before they are implemented.